Presidents Rumen Radev and Xi Jinping Adopt a Declaration for Establishing Strategic Partnership between Bulgaria and China
Presidents Rumen Radev and Xi Jinping agreed at a meeting in Beijing to lift the bilateral relations between Bulgaria and China to the level of strategic partnership. The Bulgarian President is on a state visit to China from 1 to 5 July at the invitation of his Chinese counterpart. The adopted by the two Heads of State Joint declaration between the Republic of Bulgaria and the People’s Republic of China for establishing relations of strategic partnership is an expression of the mutual respect, friendship and the active political dialogue on all levels between Bulgaria and China.
Bulgaria considers the “One Belt, One Road” and “17+1” initiatives not only projects for transport connectivity, but also an investment in the future and the prosperity of the countries that participate in them, Rumen Radev said. The Bulgarian President highly appreciated China’s achievements in the past decades vis-à-vis increasing the standard of life, fighting poverty and creating opportunities for the development of the Chinese citizens.
The two Presidents were unanimous that Bulgaria’s strategic location as one of the investors’ “gateways” to the EU and the common European market requires more actively taking advantage of the opportunities of the Bulgarian transport infrastructure – airports, railway connections, ports and highways. “The shortest trade route is also the cheapest,” Rumen Radev said and added that our country has the potential to establish itself as a logistic center in Southeast Europe for the transportation of goods from Asia to Europe and leading companies in the world in this area have already declared their interest in it.
Opening a direct flight between the two countries is a key condition for facilitating the dialogue and promoting mutual investments, trade, tourism and also for exchange in education, science and culture, the Bulgarian President further emphasized. Xi Jinping said that airline companies try to earn maximum profits, yet on a state level a framework should be created, which should be in line with the new nature of bilateral relations and the opening of a direct flight is a natural step in this direction. The Chinese President assured that prompt instructions would be given to launch consultations between the respective competent institutions of the two countries to speed up the process.
The establishment of a Bulgarian-Chinese center for scientific research and innovations in Sofia with the support of Chinese companies to promote the transfer of technologies and knowledge between Europe and China and to create a new environment and boost the competitiveness of the economies of the two countries, was also among the highlights of the meeting between the two Heads of State. Xi Jinping voiced China’s interest in the project and called for more information about the areas the center will focus its activity on.
Rumen Radev and Xi Jinping discussed opening a branch of a Chinese bank in Bulgaria, which should stimulate the activity of the Chinese investors and the implementation of projects of mutual interest. In the Bulgarian President’s words, the two countries should expand their partnership in the sphere of financial technologies in which the Bulgarian companies have leading positions in terms of financial transactions, financial control and bank security.
Rumen Radev raised the issue of the problem regarding meeting the requirements for importing agricultural goods in China by Bulgarian export companies of dairy products, which has existed for more than two years. Xi Jinping assured him that the problem will be solved. The four affected companies are already on the list of the Chinese Customs of companies which have a license for such import. Xi Jinping voiced China’s interest also in a follow-up expansion of the import of food and beverages from Bulgaria.
Rumen Radev thanked his Chinese counterpart for increasing the number of scholarships for the young Bulgarians who have chosen to take their university degree in China. The Bulgarian President also highlighted the excellent conditions the Bulgarian universities offer to foreign students in terms of student fees, and also the quality of education, which has been recognized in the EU.
In Beijing the Bulgarian Head of State and his wife were welcomed with an official ceremony at the east square in front of the Great Hall of Peoples.
Earlier President Rumen Radev held meetings with the Chairman of the Standing Committee of the National People’s Congress Li Zhanshu, with representatives of state and political institutions. He paid tribute to and laid a wreath in front of the monument to the people’s heroes at the Tiananmen square.
Joint Declaration between the Republic of Bulgaria and the People's Republic of China on establishing strategic partnership relations
(Beijing, July 3, 2019)
At the invitation of Xi Jinping, President of the People's Republic of China, Rumen Radev, President of the Republic of Bulgaria, undertook a state visit to China from 1 to 5 July 2019 and participated in 13th World Economic Forum "Summer Davos" in the town of Dalian from 1 to 2 July 2019.
During the visit, President Rumen Radev held talks with President Xi Jinping. He also met with Li Keqiang, Chairman of the State Council of the People's Republic of China, and Li Zhanshu, Chairman of the Standing Committee of the People's National Congress of the People's Republic of China. The two state leaders exchanged views on bilateral relations, cooperation between the countries of Central and Eastern Europe and China, relations between the European Union and China and other international and regional issues of mutual interest, in which they achieved broad consensus. With a view to consolidating the robust and steady development of bilateral relations, the two heads of state announced their intention to raise relations between the Republic of Bulgaria and the People's Republic of China to the level of strategic partnership.
1. Both sides stressed that 2019 marks the 70th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations between the Republic of Bulgaria and the People's Republic of China and is a focus for celebrations. Both sides will maintain high-level contacts and hold a series of events to mark this anniversary. The President of the Republic of Bulgaria, Rumen Radev, congratulated China on the occasion of the 70th anniversary of the creation of the People's Republic of China. Bulgaria greatly appreciates the remarkable achievements in China's socio-economic development and offers China its sincere wishes for success in achieving the "Chinese Dream" for the Great Revival of the Chinese nation.
2. Both sides unanimously express their mutual respect for the chosen path of development, sovereignty, territorial integrity and fundamental interests of the other. Bulgaria confirms that it adheres unswervingly to principle of "one China".
3. Both sides express their willingness to achieve the objectives set out in the intergovernmental Memorandum of Understanding on the Joint Implementation of the "One Belt One Road" initiative, following the principles of broad consultation, joint contribution and mutual benefit, in order to foster practical cooperation in a range of areas, for the purposes of implementing the "One Belt, One Road" initiative to the highest level of quality.
4. Both sides will continue to foster maritime port cooperation and will support Chinese entrepreneurs who will participate in cooperation on the Varna port projects and other projects on the basis of market principles.
5. Both sides greatly appreciate the positive results in the field of economy and trade between Bulgaria and China, and express their unanimous opinion on the strengthening of practical cooperation in the fields of trade, investment, infrastructure, small and medium-sized enterprises, e-commerce and others.
6. Both sides express their desire to make full use of the mechanisms of the Intergovernmental Mixed Commission for Economic Cooperation in achieving its leading role at a macro level, thereby stimulating bilateral trade and mutual investments. Both countries will continue to establish an open and transparent business environment for enterprises and to guarantee their legitimate rights. China will welcome the participation of Bulgaria in the Third China International Import Expo to be held in Shanghai in November 2020.
7. Both sides will continue to work for the enhancement of cooperation in the areas of the production and processing of agricultural products, academic research, technology and investment in agriculture and trade in agricultural goods. They will encourage the participation of companies in exhibitions and fairs organized in both countries. Both sides positively welcome cooperation between their customs administrations, cooperation in the field of inspection and quarantine, and express their intention to raise the level of this cooperation. China welcomes the import of more high quality Bulgarian agricultural products which comply with Chinese market standards for inspection and quarantine.
8. Both sides agreed to extend co-operation in the fields of culture and tourism, as well as local co-operation in order to intensify contacts and friendship between the two peoples. Both sides attach great importance to cooperation in the field of education, science and technology. They express their intention to increase and intensify student exchanges, language learning, as well as research activities between higher education institutions and others. Both sides support cooperation in joint research between scientific institutions, companies and other organizations in priority areas identified by both sides. They encourage the establishment of joint laboratories or research and development centres, and will foster the implementation of the results of academic research in business and industry.
9. Both sides unanimously affirm that cooperation between the countries of Central and Eastern Europe and China is an important platform for the development of relations between Bulgaria and China and is a useful complementary element in the comprehensive strategic partnership between the European Union and China. Both sides will support and foster cooperation between the countries of Central and Eastern Europe and China.
10. Both sides reaffirm their support for a comprehensive strategic partnership between the European Union and China, the comprehensive implementation of the EU-China Strategic Partnership Agenda for 2020 and the formulation of a new agenda for co-operation. Both sides reaffirmed their support for the harmonisation of the "One Belt, One Road" initiative with the EU's strategy for Europe-Asia connectivity.
11. Both sides express their intention to protect the international system, established on the basis of multilateralism and international law, with the United Nations as its pillar. Both sides declare their readiness to respect the objectives and principles of the UN Charter and the core principles of international law and international relations, and express their desire to strengthen their coordination and cooperation with the United Nations and other international organizations in the aims of strengthening world peace and development.
12. Both sides affirm their desire to strengthen coordination and cooperation within the framework of the ASEM, to foster the achievement of practical results in cooperation in the area of economy, trade and mutual connectivity between Europe and Asia.
13. Both sides will undertake to build an open global economy, firmly supporting the multilateral trading system built on the basis of legal standards and regulations, and recognise the World Trade Organization as its core against unilateralism and protectionism.